REMENANTS OF STEAM RAIL
PIX #1 - The last passenger train to run from Sandusky through Fostoria 1929.
PIX #2 - Candyland was once the site of the depot of the LE&W. The tracks were recently torn out.
LE AND W ROADBED IS GONE
The last vestiges of Fostoria's oldest steam railroad are now just a memory and a matter of history, with the recent removal of the ties and rails from the roadbed that was lated sometime prior to 1870.
Originally the railroad was called the Louisville and Lake Erie, but later became the Lake Erie and Western (LE & W). Still later the line became part of the Nickel Plate system.
In the beginning, the depot was located on the land where the Candyland Restaraunt is now. When the line became the property of LE and W the depot and freight station was built on the south side of the tracks between Main and North streets, where it still stands, and is headquarters for Camp Fire.
LAST RUN 1929
The last passenger service to run from Sandusky, Ohio through Fostoria on the LE & W was August 31, 1929, when train No. 21 made its last run to Bloomington, Indiana. The complete train is shown in the accompanying photo. ..engine No. 331, plus combination baggage and railroad post office car and one coach. The train arrived on time at 11:35 a.m. After Aug. 31, Fostoria became the eastern terminus for the line westward. Eight passengers were on the train on its last run.
Those in charge of the train were engineer A. Stober, shown standing on the platform, fireman E.A. "Jumbo" Donovan in the cab, conductor Sullivan and brakeman Bresser, both in uniform, standing on the platform.
OLD NAMES AND FACES
In the far right of the photo is A.S. "Al" Bryan, then editor of The Fostoria Times, and Hal Stout, then editor of The Fostoria Review. The photo was snapped by W.L. Weaver, photographer who will be remembered by many readers.
O.T. "Oscar" Shutt, who will be remembered by older readers, was the LE and W agent for many years, to be succeeded by LaVerne Johnson.
The LE and W passenger service from Sandusky, prior to suspension, permitted students from the Amsden area to ride the train into Fostoria each morning to attend Fostoria High School.
CEDAR POINT EXCURSIONS
Many older Fostorians will remember...like your editor...the excursion runs on the LE and W to Cedar Point. The train with a dozen or more coaches, started in Indiana and come through Fostoria shortly after daybreak and returned after dark. It was great for young and old alike to spend a whole day at Cedar Point..with the most famous beach west of Atlantic City.
The LE and W at one time provided the shortest route for passengers service from Fostoria to St. Louis.
I remember William "Billy" Jaeger, one of Fostoria's older prominent citizens years ago, saying "someday the LE and W will be no more, and when the rails and ties are removed it will make way for a street through Fostoria from the northeast to the southwest". At least part of his prediction has come true...whether the roadbed becomes a street is another matter. It seems like a good idea to explore.
"Finis" has now been written for the oldest rail line through Fostoria.