Articles

aug_18__1983.html

  • Print
User Rating:  / 0
PoorBest 
Accommodations
Churches
Community Calendar
History
Schools
Social Groups
Web Links



1977197819791980198119821983198419851986198719881989

PEOPLE AND HOUSES ON SANDUSKY ST.
August 18, 1983


Click

PIX #1 - No. 525, 521, 517, 505

PIX #2 - No. 429, 501

PIX #3 - No. 413, 423

PIX #4 - The Sendelbach property, built in the last century, has a modern look today.

PIX #5 - The way the Sendelbach property probably appeared in its early days. Photo courtesy of the Sendelbachs.

(Author's Note: Today's article is another in a series about Sandusky Street.)

Very few readers are aware that Andrew Emerine Sr., founder of the old First National Bank, resided at 403 Sandusky St.

The present owners, the Sendelbach family, told me that when Andrew Emerine Jr. was living, he stopped at the house and informed the Sendelbachs that when he was a boy he lived there and asked permission to look through the house once again.

When the house was built or by whom is not known. The abstract for the house does not provide information about that. It shows that on Aug. 12, 1892. Andrew Emerine Sr. and his wife Amy sold the property to Jonas Foster for $6,000.

The Emerine family was living in the house in 1890-92, according to an old city directory. At that time, the family consisted of Andrew Sr., wife Amy, daughters Cora and Lucy, and son Andrew Jr.

The "Potluck" article "The Other Foster Family," dated Dec. 31, 1981, which told about the Christian Fosters who settled in Jackson Township in 1829, building a cabin on the banks of Wolf Creek.

Jonas Foster was the fourth son of Christian. They were not related to the C.W. Foster family who settled in Loudon Township and with others started the village of Rome.

The purchase of the property at 403 Sandusky must have been a "convenience" deal because on that same day, Aug. 12, 1892, he resold it to Owen L. Foster, probably a relative.

In 1902, Owen lost the property by legal judgment, and it wa sold to James L. Anderson. The property then changed hands a number of times, being owned by Charles W. Foster, and later by the C.E. Harrison family, including Mabel C. Harrison, Edna Flack, Robert F. Harrison and Justin E. Harrison, prior to being purchased by the Sendelbachs in 1941.

Originally, Mr. and Mrs. William Sendelbach, the grocer, and family lived there. At the death of the parents, the children continued to occupy the house, as they do today, consisting of a brother and sisters, William J., Mary, Dorothy and Beatrice.

The one accompanying photo shows the house as it probably appeared from the time it was built until it was remodeled on the outside by the Sendelbachs. Another photo shows it today.

The house is typical of those built many years ago--large, comfortable, nine rooms, two baths. Originally, there was no basement and the house was heated with stoves. The Sendelbachs added a basement.

An interesting part of the Sendelbach property is an upground cellar, located just a few steps from the back entrance. Constructed of brick, it is two stories high, with access by outside stairs to the second floor. The walls appear to be three bricks thick.

It would not be unusual if the early residents kept ice in the building in summer--maybe from the pond which was located a little further out on Sandus- ky Street. The upground cellar was probably used for meats, fruits, and vegetables, both fresh and canned.

Houses from Caples Street eastward to Town Street are in good condition, making that section of Sandusky Street a desirable residential area, as the photos with today's article will illustrate.

Most of the residents in that block have lived there for long periods of time.

In addition to the property on the corner (No. 403) where the Sendelbachs now live, there are eight more houses in the block, all on the south side of the street. All eight houses are shown in the three photos with today's article, each labeled with the addresses.

Here's a rundown on the residents of those homes, past and present, obtained from directories, phone calls, memory and assistance of Charles "Bus" Snyder. The numbers on the pictures correspond with the following listing from 1915 to 1965.

No. 403--George Gregoy, August Sieber, J.C. Soles, John Glenn, Chester E. Harrison, Mrs. Louisa E. Foster, Mabel C. Harrison, Justin Harrison, Robert Harrison.

I could not find anyone who knew anythng about the first four names listed above. However, by talking with Justin Harrison, who resides on Hancock County Road 226, I learned that Louisa E. Foster was his grandmother and she was part of the Foster family who had settled in Jackson Township in 1832. Justin is the son of Chester and Mabel C. Harrison. Justin and Robert were brothers.

No. 413--G.W. Estes, Eli Jordan, Mrs. Myrtle Hopkins, Lennie Greeno Sr. Estes, who worked for Seebon Truck & Storage Co., lived there from 1915-55. I am told Mr. Estes' son was once a drum major for the Fostoria High School band. Mr. Greeno and his son, who currently work there, at National Lime & Stone Co., Carey. Nothing is known about the others who lived there.

No. 423--Walter Hartsook, Robert W. Stykeman, Charles W. Perry. Hartsook was the father of Ray, Roy, and Norma. Hartsook lived there from 1915-41. By that time his daughter Norma had married Stykeman and they lived there until 1955. Hartsook worked at Mennel Milling Co. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Perry has lived there since 1959. Mr. Perry was a bookkeeper at O'Donnell Chevrolet for many years prior to retirement. Mrs. Perry retired from a financial in- stitution.

No. 429--J.J. Peter, A.J. "Al" Steindorf, Clarence A. Houck, Lee C. Dixon, Sara Mundorff. Presently Columbus Brown and his wife own the property and live there. The house is generally referred to as the Peter house since J.J. Peter lived there from 1915-41. The house will be remembered for the two stone bears in front of the porch. The bears are now at the Fostoria Area Historical Society Museum on West North Street. Al Steindorf had the grocery in that neighborhood.

No. 501--Directories for the years 1915, 1920, 1922 showed that J.D. McDonel family resided there. According to "Bus" Snyder, McDonel developed some of the residential areas in that part of town in earlier days. He also said that when McDonel died, Charles Mergenthaler, a local jeweler, married his widow. Ruth McDonel will be recalled by many readers.

For a time, the William Papenfus family lived there also. He worked at National Carbon and was an excellent third baseman on the Carbon industrical baseball team.

Others residing there were: Nelson Zimmerman, Mrs. Hatie M. Slater, Clifford E. Creeger, William L. Smith, Raymond J. Bodart, Harry D. Bostic, Malcolm W. Cameron and presently Betty Thomas and family. Snyder said Creeger worked at Carbon and Ford and now lives at 1702 Walnut St. and that Bostic works at Terry Chevrolet and lives on East Lytle Streeet. Betty Thomas is employed at Fostoria High School cafeteria. Nothing is known about the others.

No. 505--That house was not there in earlier years. It was built in the early 1950s by Cyril Lucius and he has lived there since. The lot had been purchased by Lucius from Ray Bodart who lived in the neighborhood. Mr. Lucius has worked at Atlas Crankshaft for 41 years. Mr. Lucius has been ac- quainted with Sandusky Street ever since he was a boy, from where his parents lived on Sandusky Street to St. Wendelin school. He said he never imagined living where he does today.

No. 517--Those living there since 1915 were: G.W. Hollenbaugh, A.R. Daugherty, J.J. Wagner, Roy Smith, Milton E. Fillhart, Charles W. Hartley, Thomas Miller Sr., Thomas Miller Jr. Snyder recalls that Daugherty had a large family (nine children) and worked at Seneca Wire.

J.J. Wagner was the father of Harold, who will be remembered by many readers since he had polio when he was young and his father took him about town in a wagon. Harold was brilliant in school, graduating from Fostoria High School in 1925 and was on the school's debate team. He regained the use of his limbs and went on to graduate from Ohio Wesleyan University, settled in Toledo and became active in politics. Then in his later years, he again lost the use of his limbs and was confined to a wheel chair, but that didn't stop his activities.

Snyder recalled that when the Wagner family lived at No. 517, they sold candy to help make a living. They had a window in the house where customers could buy the candy. Mr. Wagner's regular employer was National Carbon.

The two generations of the Miller family have lived in No. 517 since sometime in the 1940s. Tom Sr. worked at Gillig Electric for many years. Tom Jr. and family took over the house after the death of his father and was an auto mechanic with a service garage at 144 Sandusky St. He now provides service from his shop in the rear of his residence.

Roy Smith and Milton Fillhart were both railroaders. Smith was a foreman on the LE&BW. Fillhart worked for C&O. Nothing is known about others listed above.

No. 521--From 1915 (maybe even earlier) to about 1925, that property was lived in by the J.E. Gehring family. Mrs. Gehring was the daughter of Michael Lannen, the owner. At the time of his death, the house was sold to Clarence Bolen.

Others to live there were: Jack W. Payne, Angus P. Moon, Earl R. Robinson, Clarence Bolen, Harold W. Smith and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Sparks. Mrs. Sparks is the daughter of the Bolens, and still resides there.

According to Snyder, Payne worked at National Carbon as a tool and die maker. Moon wa employed by the city with Robinson working at Seneca Wire. Mr. Bolen also worked at the Carbon. J.E. Gehrng worked at Seneca Wire and later at the new St. Wendelin High School as custodian and fireman.

No. 525--This is the last house on the block. Mr. and Mrs. Earl Snyder, parents of Charles "Bus." Florence and Stella, moved there in 1906 from East Tiffin Street, moving the house to that location. Charles and Stella were born there. Florence was born on East Tiffin Street. Florence, now deceased, was a surgical nurse at Fostoria City Hospital, and the first wife of John Lee. Stella married Ralph Cramer and lived in the Cleveland area for many years. They returned to Fostoria recently and he is now deceased. Both "Bus" and his father worked at National Carbon. "Bus" and his wife moved back into the house in 1960 after both of his parents died.

(To be continued at a later date