Fostoria.Org

Fostoria Museum - Coin Club

User Rating:  / 0
PoorBest 
Fostoria Museum
- A visit to the museum -

- Wooden money -

This collection of wood money and the display case was donated by the International Organization of Wood Money Collectors and Fostoria Coin Club. Wood money was a trademark promotional device of the John B. Rogers Producing Co. which operated out of the building on Center St. just west of the Post Office. In 1954, for the Fostoria Centennial the Rogers Co. produced wood money "flats" about the size of a baseball card in denominations ranging from five cents up to 50 cents. During the week long centennial observance in July 1954, the wood money was honored as legal tender by roughly 50 local merchants. It was also honored by banks for the limited purpose of allowing children to open small accounts.

Information courtesy of Leonard Skonecki

 

 

Hosted by Noguska Computer Center Serving Fostoria's computer needs since 1973!

 

[Top]