Fostoria.Org
The Hanooca Chronicles
Publish Your Thoughts
…and wait for the comments
Allen Car Club
Museum
Lineage Research
NWOIAAA
Mary's Movies
Fostoria's Trains
Fostoria's Glass
Krupp, Potluck
Cent. Souvenir
1954 Cent. Book
AutoLite Plant
Focus on Fostoria
Fountain Cemetery
Photo Album 1
Photo Album 2
Photo Album 3
Wesley Photos
Franklin Club
Ray Dell
Pearl Peter
Kinsey Tent Show
Wendelin Cemetery
Churches
Church Photos
Altrusa Org.
Eastern Star
Rotary Club
VFW #421
Kiwanis Club
SWHS Class Info
FHS Class Info
Hall Of Fame
Fostoria Parks
Reservoirs
Public Services
Fostoria's Past: A Century of history in the making
By Gene Kinn
Staff writer (The Review Times)

1907

User Rating:  / 0
More on Fostoria (1907)
From R/t July 11, 2001
(Article by Gene Kinn)
 
Fostoria's second family, loses Rawson Crocker
 
    As feared from the moment it was realized that he was suffering from a stroke of apoplexy, Mr. Rawson Crocker did not regain consciousness, passing away last evening (Dec. 30, 1907.) While this was a disappointment to his loved ones, their sorrow is assuaged somewhat by the realization that he did not suffer
    In his death, the family loses a loving and indulgent husband and father and Fostoria loses one who has not only seen but has helped the town grow from an insignificant hamlet to a prosperous city.
    Mr. Crocker was born in fostoria August 30th, 1841, his father, Roswell, having come here in 1832 and entered a track of government land.  The village of Rome was located on a part of this land and Mr. Crocker Sr. made the first plat of the town.  he built the first sawmill and in 1837, built a gristmill.
    When Mr. Rawson was five years old , his father moved to a farm ten miles south of the city, building a sawmill and gristmill at Springville, which he conducted for a number years, returning to Fostoria in 1852 and building a gristmill on South Main Street, where the Crouse block now stands. He operated that business until his retirement in 1865.
    Mr. Crocker attended the public schools of this city, the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware and was a graduate of Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York. At the age of 16 he entered the employ of the firm of Foster, Olmsted & Company and became a member of the firm ten years later.  He remained with this company as a partner for six years when he sold out.
    He embarked in the grocery business in 1875, in the room for a number of years past occupied by the James Crawford Co., doing a large real estate business in connection therewith.  He retired from the grocery business in the early nineties since which time he had looked after his large interest here and elsewhere.
    The deceased was a strong Republican but was not an office seeker, his office holding having been limited to a term as councilman and membership on the board of sinking fund trustees.  He had taken a strong interest in the upbuilding of Fostoria since young manhood and was always to be found on committees appointed to solicit for subscriptions to locate new factories, and he always subscribed liberally before soliciting others to do so.
    He took an active interest in securing the various Crouse-Tremaine interest for Fostoria and was interested in those factories for a number of years and with these gentleman in other enterprises, being probably closer to them in the business way than any Fostorians not connected with them as employees.  He was a stockholder in both the Mechanics and Commercial Banks and was director of the first named.  He has been president of the Seneca Wire  & Manufacturing company since the organization of the company, and was one of several men to whom the success of that institution has largely been due.  He was a man of marked business acumen and this was recognized by making him a director or officer in many companies and also of the board of trade. 
    Mr. Crocker was married in 1867 to Miss Lucy Caples, daughter of the late Philip Caples and wife , who came to Jackson Township the same year Mr. Crocker's parents came to Loudon Township.  Mr. Crocker and four sons, John R., Charles P., Ross E. and Fred , survive him, all but Ross, who lives in Clarksburg, W. Va. being Fostorians.
    He was a member of the Odd Fellows and of all the local Masonic bodies, being a charter member of Fostoria Council and Fostoria Commandery.
    (Rawson Crocker was a nephew of Charles W. Foster, founder of the city, Foster married Laura Crocker, the daughter of John and Lucy Crocker, on June 7, 1827, John was the father of Roswwell Crocker and grandfather of Rawson.  Crocker Street is named for the second family of Fostoria)
   
 

From R/t July 3, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
Mr. Andrew Emerine Sr. (Local Banker and More)
 
    One of Fostoria's oldest and foremost business men, Andrew Emerine Sr., is founder and president of the First National Bank.
    The bank was organized June 17, 1882, chartered December 2nd of the same year and opened for business on Jan. 2nd 1883 in the Lockart room, now occupied by the Fostoria Candy Works.
    The original officers were Andrew Emerine, President: L.B. Harris, Vice President; J.C. F. Hull, cashier, and Alonzo Emerine, assistant cashier. So it will be seen that for a full quarter of a century, Mr. Emerine has not only found time to look after other extensive interest, but has successfully directed the important affairs of this, Fostoria's oldest, most conservative and only National Bank.
    While he now has to a large extent relieved himself of the strenuous activities which his large interests involve, his principles are being strictly adhered to by his sons, Alonzo and Andrew, vice president and assistant cashier, as well as by Andrew E. Mergenthaler, who has been with the institution practically from its inception.
    Born of German parentage about the time western Seneca County was settled, the elder Mr. Emerine saw that remarkably fertile area of this day when it was a primeval forest except for occasional cleared patches sheltering a sparse but hardy lot of pioneers.  The forest at that time were peopled with bear, wolves, deer and wild turkeys as well as all kinds of similar game and Indians.
    When a mere youth he endured hardships in the way of going to mill with a sack of corn or wheat over his shoulder, that would test the endurance of an adult man at this time.   When he had grown to a ambitious youth, he learned the saddlery trade (equipment for horses) and worked for his employer until he mastered every detail of the business, when he embarked in the trade for himself.
    He conducted his business successfully until when his financial interests became so large he had to retire in order to take advantage of the opportunities that came his way to make money.
    Let it be said here that as far as we have been able to learn, Mr. Emerine never did any gambling in stocks, nor speculated in any but a legitimate way.  Naturally he took chances on certain of his investments but he never bought or sold on margins.
    For the most part, his investments were in real estate that invariable increased in value and made him sate, (fully gratify desire) if not moderate profits.  He did not squeal when bitten by adversity nor specially rejoice when successful, except as the success was beneficial to the community
 
   

From R/t June 6, 2002
From Article by Gene Kinn
 
Fostoria Movie Houses
 
     Ural Buck was born on a farm about nine miles northeast of Fostoria, Art came to the city when he was 8 years old.  During the early days of the "flickers," he broke into the business as an operator in the Findlay movie house in 1908.   He worked in Findlay in the evenings and drove a bread wagon in Fostoria in the daytime, until 1910 when he and W.T. Huber formed a partnership to operate the Majestic Theater in Fostoria.
   
     Mr. Huber later sold his half interest to Harry Campbell, the druggist and the latter sold his interest to Judd Asire, the undertaker.   In 1915, Mr. Asire sold his half interest to Ural Buck and Charles Mergenthaler. later that year.  Arthur sold half of his interest to his brother-in-law, Melvin Hawkins.  Back in those days Fostoria had six "nickel" shows, movies that charged five cents for a 15 minute, one reel program.
 
     In 1916, when they lost their lease on the Majestic, Mr. Buck and his associates moved across the street, to what is now the present location of the State Theater, and built a 300 seat movie house, called the "Colonial".  Three years later, just after World War I, they enlarged the theater into it's present 700-seat capacity, and some time later changed the name to the State.  Art, who booked in all the shows at the Colonial, built up a reputation for exhibiting the top movies a week to two weeks ahead of the release in the larger cities.
 
     Mr. Buck booked in Sonja Henie first movie, "One in a Million", he told the agency he wanted it for New Year's Eve, even though it wasn't scheduled to be released until later in January.  The booking agency manager just laughed, but Art insisted on action.   After phone calls to New York and Hollywood, a print of the film was rushed to Fostoria, directly from Hollywood, for the first showing in the nation.  Because of the patronage the show drew in Fostoria, the producer decided to give it the "full treatment" in national advertising and promotion and the film became one of the all time big money makers.
 
     Arthur Buck died in 1963 at the age of 79.  At one time he owned a large share of both the State and Civic theaters.  He was in the movie business in Fostoria for more than 47 years.  Prior to his death Mr. Buck gave an interview to the Review Times.  He said, "When we raised the admission price of the movies from a nickel to a dime, you would have thought there was a smallpox quarantine nailed on the front door of the theater."
 
(Note)  In early 2000 the State theater was demolished and a new building will be constructed to house a Local "Good News" paper, the Fostoria Focus.  The old Civic theater building is still standing and at one time was used as a youth center,  presently used as a sharing kitchen to prepare meals for area residents..

R/t May 23, 2002
From Article by Gene Kinn
 
Cory St. Early Beginnings (1907)
 
Lawrence Kehn has purchased the new cottage just about completed by Howard Cory, in the Cory addition, paying $1200 therefor
 
There are three houses now building on Cory Street, two by Mr. Cory and one by Mr. Klotz.  Cory addition is bound to be come a popular residence district from the fact that a man is given opportunity to have a house built to suit his pocketbook with such plans of purchase as to make the properties attractive.
__________________________________
 
Unwanted Horse Found in Barn (1907)
 
When Mr. Daub went to his barn yesterday morning, he found a horse which did not belong to him.  After looking the animal over he decided that he did not want him, even as a present
 
After investigating a little, he found that Lloyd Hollopeter had given the horse to Frank Carter, but the recipient, after getting better acquainted with the animal , decided that he did not care to accept it and had returned it, thinking that Daub's barn was Mr. Hollopeter's barn.
________________________________
 
Raising Horses More Costly (1907)
 
Talking about the increase in the price of horses, in the past ten years, a well known area horse dealer stated recently that his first carload of horses shipped from the city of Tiffin cost him about $1400.  Now, the same size shipment cost him in the neighborhood of $6000
 
Yet ten years ago, many people thought that the coming of the automobile would make the horse a back number.
_____________________________
 
Fostoria to Build Engine
 
The Fostoria Auto Machine Co. closed a deal yesterday with Mr. G. Fish of Hicksville, Ohio for a twenty horsepower international traction gas engine to be shipped to Kimball, Nebraska, to be used on Mr. Fish's ranch , to pull a gang plow and threshing outfit.
_______________________________
 
 Fostoria Looking to Build Hospital (1907)
 
Drs. E. L. Overholt and William Leonard returned at noon from a tour of hospitals at Lima, Piqua, Troy, Springfield, Columbus and Findlay.
 
They will make their report at the meeting of local physicians next week and they state that there is no reason why a hospital in Fostoria would not be a success.

From R/t April 16, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
Record Real Estate Sales for Fostoria (1907)
 
    In spite of the April cold rainy weather, 81 lots amounting in value to over $11,000 were sold at the Avondale opening in less than 24 hours.  This breaks all real estate records in Fostoria.
    There are now only 37 of these fine lots to offer, and these will not last long at these terms and prices.  You can secure a choice residence lot for only $1 down and only 50 cents to $1 a week with a free deed to your beneficiary in case of your death before your lot is fully paid for , even if you have made only one payment.
    There is not interest, not taxes and not extras of any kind.  We offer these beautiful lots at only $98 to $198, although lots within a short distance sell for twice these prices.
    A liberal credit of 10 percent is allowed on advance payments of $10 or more and a discount of 20 percent is allowed for all cash down.
    Avondale is located on Columbus Avenue and Town Street, only five squares from the business center. The electric line passes the property, giving it regular street car service.  There is no better or healthier location for homes in Fostoria than Avondale. 
    The owners intend Avondale to be strictly a residence property and no shacks, shanties, saloons or other objectionable features will be allowed.
    All houses in Avondale must be built 20 feet back of the sidewalk line, thus giving a park-like appearance to the property.  Lots are sold to white persons only.
    Avondale property is offered by C.N. Lodge & Co., America's greatest home makers.  Our office is located over Peter Bros.' store, corner Main and Tiffin Streets.
__________________________________________-
 
Heifer, Dislikes Her Last Trip
 
    A heifer, being brought to town to be butchered at W.L. Warner's slaughter house, from Peter Manecke's farm southwest of the city, went wild while on the way and caused considerable excitement and some danger.
    When it started out, the animal was tied to another, but broke away and would make a bolt for anyone who came in sight, while the wagon followed behind, the drivers doing their best to drive her the way they wished her to go.  Several people were chased and had the animal not slipped and gone to its knees while chasing Dr. Westfall, he would have been caught.
    J.D. Asire took five shots at it with a .38, but the bullets only served to enrage her the more.  Judd stood long enough to frighten all who saw his gunplay, but he sidestepped and allowed her to pass.
    Officer Walters has been summoned and went with the idea that he could lead the animal to the jail without any trouble.  When he saw the conditions, he sprinted to the jail, secured the official rifle and that ended the trouble.  The animal was bled at once and placed in the wagon and hauled away
    There was no apparent reason for her losing her head, but she was about as dangerous, if not more so, than an ordinary circus lion by the time she reached town.
_____________________________________-
 
Pigeons Raised in Fostoria for Market
 
    After an experience of a couple of years in the pigeon business, Frank Bunce found his quarters to limited to handle the business as extensively as he wished and he entered into a partnership with A.P. Hamill.
    The new firm purchased three acres opposite the power house, at the junction of Findlay and West Independence roads, where the Washington Township house stands. the building will be removed and a residence will be put up, after which pens will be built and those now in use on the Bunce lot will be moved to this location. The firm now has about 700 pairs of birds, but when the work contemplated has been done, they will have sufficient accommodations for 12,000.
    The raising of pigeons for market is a comparatively new business for this section of the country, but it seems to be growing one wherever it has been started,  Mr. Bunce imported most of his birds from Europe.

1924

User Rating:  / 0

From the Review (December 1924)

10,000 Visitors at Exposition

Saturday; 28,961 Attend the Big farm Show During first Four Days: Special Features Arranged for this Week

       Saturday was the banner day so far of the National Farm and Industrial Exposition with Sunday running a close second in point of attendance. During the twelve and a half hours the big show was operation Saturday , 10,279 persons passed into the big building on the southwest cornor of  Popular and South Streets,  the Willis Hakes Garage the largest building in the area. The crowds were constantly changing with hundreds going in as others passed out. Sunday the attendance was 9,988, a total of 28,961 for the first four days and five days yet to go. Mr. Buolow stated this morning that he expects the total to reach 75,000 to 80,000 by next Friday night when the exposition closes.

        Hundreds of strangers were in the city, Saturday and Sunday, coming here from great distances to attend the exposition. A concert by Ernie Smith's orchestra afternoon and evening were the entertaininng features Sunday.

New Singer

        A new soloist and entertainer made her appearance at the big show this afternoon and will remain for the balance of the exposition.   She is Miss Alma Alexandeer Blue who has appeared with many high class theatrical productions and is prominant in vaudeville.

        Tuesday afternoon the students from Jackson Township Centrallzed school at Amsden and the students from the Milton Township Centrallized school of  Milton Center will attend the exposition. The Jackson township scholars will be accompanied by E. G. Hasley, instructor in agriculture at the school and the Milton Center students will be in charge of  Superintendent  J. C. Cooley.

        The big features Tuesday evening in addition to the various other entertainments will be the appearance of the "Ice-House Quartette," composed of Toledo business men.

(December 12, 1924) From the Review.

Want Beulow Back in 1925

Farm Exposition Executive Committee Urge Him to Stage His big Show in this City Again Next Year

        Unanimous was the infitation from the executive comittee of the Fostoria Merchant's division to H. V. Beulow to put on a farm Expo in Fostoria again next year. Mr. Beulow will give the committee an answer within a month. Up to today 60,071 have attended the Expo.

        This action was taken at the meeting this morning in the office of Willis Hakes Garage. Every member present expressed himself as highly pleased with the show and the results thereof and strongly urged Mr. Beulow to return next year.

        Other Cities had representatives here during the show urging and affering inducements to Mr. Beulow to come to their respective cities.

        The action of the local committee this morning came wholely unsolicted on the part of Mr. Beulow, the committee feeling that thousads of strangers had been attracted to Fostoria during the dates of the Expo. and much good had come both directly and indirectly to the merchants and the town in general.

        The committee also praised Mr. Beulow for his wonderful executive abillty in handling affairs of this kind and his absolute fairness in all matters.

Miss Rega Gabriel Wins Miss Fostoria Contest With 10,754

        The "Miss Fostoria Popularity Contest" which was being held in connection with the 11th Annual National and Industrial Exposition, closed last night. the final count was delayed until 11 p.m. owing to the time it took to make the 9:30 count, for that reason Mr. Turley, Contest Mgr. extended the closing time until 11 p.m. The final count follows;

Miss Rega Gabriel---------------------10,754
Miss Lela Kisabeth---------------------6192
Mrs. Thelma Book----------------------5701
Miss Helen Yates of
Jackson Grange-------------------------2596
Miss Mildred Hurbert of
Loudon Grange---------------------------2210
Mrs Fairie Kassing of
Milton Grange----------------------------1534
Miss Helen DeWitt of

 Salem Grange---------------------------1510

The Fostoria Seneca Motorcar company

The Fostoria Seneca Motorcar company (organized in 1917) produced three to five automobiles per day and 80% of their production was exported to places such as Australia, Borneo and China. Seneca Motorcar prospered until Henry Ford developed the assembly line. Seneca couldn’t compete with mass production techniques and manufactured its last car in 1924.

1916

User Rating:  / 0
More on Fostoria   for (1916)
From R/t April 6, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
 A Golf Course for Fostoria
 
    Fostoria Country Club was born in 1916 with 161 members.  Immediate steps are to be taken by the trustees to push the work along so that the club house and course can be enjoyed this year.  Trustees of the FCC are'  W.C. Beckwith, W. O. Allen, A. Emerine Jr., F.M. Hopkins, George A. Snyder, A. Mergenthaler, H. J. Adams, H. H. Geary and Nelson Poe.
 
    W.O. Allen was elected president at a meeting of the directors, held at the First National Bank.  H. J. Adams was named vice president, Chas.. A. Guernsey; secretary and L.J. Eshelman, treasurer and general manager.
 
    A Committee consisting of George A. Snyder, F.M. Hopkins and A Mergenthaler was appointed to secure the grounds.  The proposed site includes the old chautauqua grounds and 40 acres on the West Independence Road.
 
    The membership of the club was divided into five classes--Life, with a payment of $500; Resident, Fostorians and those living within 15 miles of the city (later this was reduced to 12 miles); Non-Resident, those living outside of the 15 miles; Associate, those not included in the first three and Honorary, those receiving the unanimous vote of the board.
 
    O.J. Thomas, an expert golfer, outlined the possibilities of a course and golf club that could be made equal to any nine hole course in the country.  He declared that he never knew of a golfer to stop playing the game on account of lack of interest, nor ever heard of a golf club breaking up.
 
    Resident membership dues will be $25 a year while associates of the stockholders' family, up to age 18, will pay $12 and non residents will be charged $10
 
    The new Fostoria Country Club will take in the 40 acres owned by Charles and Anna Moots, across the street from the old chautauqua grounds. Long time options were secured on adjoining property including the Freese land at the corner of Findlay Road and West Independence Road.
 
Follow up Story (More on Fostoria 1917)
_____________________________________________________________________________________-
More on Fostoria (1917
From R/t April 6, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
At the Fostoria Country Club
 
    Today July 4, 1917 The Review noted: The basket picnic on the Fostoria Country Club grounds it was an informal affair.  While the grounds and building are not yet completed, the house committee arranged the outing in order to give the members an opportunity of seeing just what had been done and also a little taste of what they may expect when the grounds and building are completed. 
 
    As early as 8 o'clock, members were out on the links and the course was kept busy the entire day,  and many a member were on the greens for the first time and swung the clubs and called fore just as if they had been playing a lifetime.
 
    The Fostoria Review Band (composed almost entirely of glass workers) arrived at noon and played a number of mighty fine selections.
 
    After dinner, many members got busy again on the links while some went onto the tennis courts, others at croquet and horseshoes.  W.C. Beckwith and W. J. Wagner contented themselves with sitting on the edge of the brook, waiting for some of the finney tribe to come out and visit.
 
Related Story (More on Fostoria 1916)
 
 
 


Subject: Hearse 1914 Allen Car converted

 
 
Mann's Motorized Hearse
 
         Read more from the Fostoria Focus Archives April 26, 2000, (By Leonard Skonecki)

1919

User Rating:  / 0
More on Fostoria 1919 
East Tiffin Street Hotel Sold
Information from R/t July 5, 2002
 
    Richard Abowd, a native of Lebanon, purchased the Earl House Hotel in 1919.  Abowd came to United States in 1876 at the age of five.  He moved to Fostoria in 1906 to help operate a candy shop his father had purchased at Main and Center Streets (Now a parking lot 2002)
    The Hotel was built circa 1880 as the Earl House Hotel, part of a national chain.  It is listed in the 1889 city directory but not in the 1877 directory,  Directories from 1888 to 1889 are not available at Kaubisch Public Library.
    In 1893, the hotel was purchased by Frank Engstrom and M. B. Waldo and was completely refurbished.  It was not known how long they operated the facility, but by 1915 it was listed as the Hays Annex, an adjunct to the Haya Hotel on South Main Street.  (Hays Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1962)
Read Leonard Skonecki Article
 
    After purchasing the Hotel, Mr. Abowd renamed it the New Ohio Hotel, renting it to another person who operated it for 10 or more years.  During the depression the operator could not pay the rent and Abowd took over, borrowing heavily on a life insurance policy to renovate the structure,  when it reopened in 1934, the hotel had an elegant dining room, the Cardinal Room, where patrons could enjoy a seven-course dinner and a five-piece orchestra for $1.  The dinning room closed in the mid-1940's 
    Abowd sold the hotel in 1973 to three Fremont men associated with Joseph's Department Store there.  C. Robert Gilberg, Ronald Cataline and Harold Danziger.  They hired Mr. and Mrs. Paul Janak of Fostoria to operate it.  Richard Puchta stayed on as night manager, a position he had held since 1934.
    Lloyd Doe, a Fostoria police patrolman, and his wife Joyce purchased the facility in 1978 and renamed it the Doeshire.  Mr. Doe retired from the police force in 1981 and in 1992, he opened a tavern, the Doeshire Inn, in the former Cardinal Room. The tavern was closed several years ago. 
 
Update 2002;
On July 4, 2002 a fire-ravaged the Doeshire then an 3 story apartment complex, killing a young girl and a adult male.  The fire also destroyed the Old Kelly's Hot Dog Stand, operated for many years by the late Floyd Kelly and later by a series of individuals under various names.
What remains of the building will face the wrecker's ball according to Mr. Doe who stated he would not rebuild.

From R/t May 26, 2001
Gene Kinn (Article)
 
Local American Legion Organized
 
    In October of 1919, a group of men,  who had served together during World War 1, met to lay the foundation for the organization of an American Legion Post in Fostoria.   Major George Cunningham was elected temporary chairman.  Signing the application for the charter were;  R. R. Kelly,  Joe Schinitzler, W. F Ohler,  I.  L. Briggs, L. Fuller,  Dr. William Leonard,  Dr. C. A. Henry,  Dr. N. C. Hatfield,  L. J. Schreiner,  C. H. Weber and Cunningham
   
    The post was named in honor of Earl Foust, the first Fostorian to give his life in WW 1.  He died of wounds received on Aug. 8, 1918.  He is buried in Fountain Cemetery.  The number 73 was assigned to the Post by Department Headquarters.
 
    The first meeting place Post 73 was the Rosendale Building.  Later meeting were held in the Y.M.C.A,  Foster Home, Elks club, and rooms on West North Street.  In 1932 the Kingseed property on West Tiffin St. was purchased.  In 1950, the post moved to the former Harrold funeral Home,  In 1995 the Post moved once again to their beautiful new facility on Zeller Road.

1911

User Rating:  / 0

More on Fostoria 1911

From R/t April 22, 2004
Article by Gene Kinn

Fostoria Shows Growth in 1911


Senator Charles Dick wires as follows, from Washington (on Jan. 13, 1911) "Official announcement just made gives Fostoria a population of 9,597, Fremont 9,939, Tiffin, 11,894 and Findlay, 14,858."
Fostoria's population, shown by the twelfth census, was 7, 730 making the increase 1,897, which is certainly a growth of which we need not feel ashamed. In the eleventh census, it was 7,070.
Compared with the other cities, Findlay is showing a loss and Tiffin and Fremont gains of 716 and 727 respectively. We have reason to feel very proud. Present indications are that we will have passed 15,000 before the decade is half gone, so we will hope for the future instead of worrying over the past.

(Now more than 90 years later (2004), the city population is estimated at less than 15,000.)


History of the 'Soldiers' Civil War Monument'
From Fostoria Focus Aug.3, 2001
Article by Leonard Skonecki
 
 
 
Monument dedication  A crowd gathered for the unveiling of the
"Soldiers' Monument" in Fostoria's Fountain Cemetery in
the spring of 1911.  the monument was donated by Rachel Linhart
to honor Union Civil War veterans on behalf of her husband
John Linhart
 
    Linhart was born Oct. 26, 1841 in Allegheny, Pa.   In 1854 the Linhart family moved to Parkersburg, Va. (West Virginia did not become a state until 1863)  During the Civil War, 40 western Virginia counties refused to secede from the Union with Virginia and formed their own government.)
    When the Civil War began, Linhart enlisted in the Union Army, Co. H of the 7th West Virginia Infantry Regiment.
    The 7th West Virginia was made up mostly of farmers and was known as the "Bloody 7th".  They fought in more engagements and suffered more losses than any other West Virginia regiment.  After the practice of the time, they were organized by James Evan, a Morgantown politician.
    The 7th West Virginia fought in the 2nd Corps of the Army of the Potomac in the Battle of Antietam. (Maryland) in September 1862.  The 2nd Corps was given the daunting task of driving entrenched Confederates from heavily fortified positions along Sunken Road.
    The 7th commenced its attack at 10 o'clock in the morning.  By nightfall , over 5,000 casualties littered the battlefield and Sunken Road was now known as "Bloody Lane."
    Though Linhart lived to tell about it, he did not fare well.  Co. H followed Lt. Francis Hicks into combat.  A bullet grazed Linhart's scalp.  He bore the scar of that wound for the rest of his life.
    Another Rebel round tore into his cartridge belt and ripped it from his body.   A third bullet pieced his left arm above the wrist and exited the other side.
    In terrible pain and fighting to maintain consciousness, Linhart struggled to the rear.  As he did so, he walked backward, facing the enemy each step of the way so that none would think him a coward.
    Linhart was one of the 23,000 killed or wounded at Antietam, one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War.
    Severe as Linhart's wounds were, there were so many others more seriously injured that he wasn't treated for 10 days.  By then, doctors had no choice but to amputate his arm below the elbow to prevent infection from killing him.
    Through Antietam was not a clear-cut Union victory, it blunted Robert E. Lee's invasion of the North and gave President Lincoln the opportunity he was seeking to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, the executive order abolishing slavery in the states of the Confederacy.
    Linhart was discharged from the Army on Feb. 15 1863, after 20 months of service.  In 1865 he and other members of his family moved to northwest Ohio to work a farm in Hancock county.   Linhart moved to Fostoria to work in the grocery store of Isaac N. Mickey.
    In 1873, he married Rachel Rankin.  They had one child, Lena, who died before her 20th birthday.  Neither John nor Rachel, members of the Methodist Episcopal Church were the same after Lena's death.
    Linhart joined Fostoria's Norris Post 27 of the Grand Army of the Republic on April 19, 1881.
    Linhart later worked in Rawson Crocker's grocery store at 123 S. Main St. and remained employed there for many years.
    He died in July 1907 at the age of 66 after three days in a diabetic coma.  He had been confined to his house for nearly the last year of his life.
    In October 1910, at a meeting of the Norris Post, Martin Adams announced that Rachel Linhart had donated $2,000  for the construction of a monument at Fountain Cemetery for the Post on behalf of her late husband.
    The monument is made of white granite with a base nine feet square.  It stands 21 feet, 4 inches high and the soldier at the top is 6 feet, 6 inches tall.
    Rachel asked only that the Post conduct an appropriate dedication of the monument and see to its care.
Linhart knew he was seriously ill for several months prior to his death   It was his wish that something be done for the comrades he was leaving behind.
    Rachel Linhart lived another seven years.   She died of heart trouble just before Christmas 1917 when the United  States was raising armies for another bloody conflict, World War I.
 
Editor's Note; Thanks to Dick Mann who helped with research on this article.
______________________________________________________________________________________
    In the year 2001 local veterans organization and city officials have been discussing the possibility of building a memorial to Fostoria Area veterans at Fountain Cemetery. This project would entail moving some existing monuments near the main entrance to the cemetery.
    One of those monuments is topped by a Civil War soldier and dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans, on behalf of a man named John M. Linhart.
(See article aboveIt seems appropriate that the discussion of a modern memorial to honor all of our area veterans is the occasion to tell the story behind Fostoria's first veterans monument.
 
 ___________________________________________________________________
 Article mentions a Storm Buggy Company in Fostoria.
 
Paul Krupp Article.
March 29, 1984
Dear Paul:
     I still take the Fostoria paper and as I have told you before, I always enjoy reading your articles and I know many of the "Oldtimers."    
    A few weeks ago you mentioned The Light Car Company, which took me back some years as that is where I worked after graduating from high school in 1915. It was my first position.
    I was the time-keeper and had charge of the switchboard for The Light Car Company and The Storm Buggy Co. After that I went to business college in Tiffin.
      Loretta Henry, a stenographer, who lived in Tiffin and came to Fostoria on the streetcar every day to work.
Sincerely,
Shirley Turner

 

 ___________________________________________________________________
 
This 1911 Ford Model T with a Limousine Body was found in a Antique Car magazine. It states the body was build by Storm Buggy Company in Fostoria. I have lived some 75 years in Fostoria and never heard mention of the Storm Company. At the local Library a book with Buggy Companies in America does not mention the Company as ever existing. One person after seeing the picture and write up that accompanied it, thought that the company was located East of the Review-Times on the South side of Center Street, across the alley, and directly across from Fostoria Appliance. If anyone has more information please contact the writer to confirm location.

"HERE'S PROOF OF EXISTENCE"
Infro. from Steve Rippon, Danville, Calif.

 

1911 Ford Model T Limousine

     This one-of-kind extremely rare 4 cylinder automobile is museum quality and features custom coach work.  It was hand build by  Storm  Buggy  Company  located in Fostoria, Ohio.   The interior is original and complete with hanging chandelier, pleated silk headliner, silk curtains with plush deep seats made of whipcord, curled hair and pillow springs.  Excellent example of an extremely rare car.

(Sold in Scottsdale AZ for $77,500,in 1999)

More Articles...

  1. 1909
  2. 1908
  3. 1906
  4. 1905
 

Hosted by Noguska Computer Center Serving Fostoria's computer needs since 1973!

 

[Top]