1907

  • Print
User Rating:  / 0
PoorBest 
More on Fostoria (1907)
From R/t July 11, 2001
(Article by Gene Kinn)
 
Fostoria's second family, loses Rawson Crocker
 
    As feared from the moment it was realized that he was suffering from a stroke of apoplexy, Mr. Rawson Crocker did not regain consciousness, passing away last evening (Dec. 30, 1907.) While this was a disappointment to his loved ones, their sorrow is assuaged somewhat by the realization that he did not suffer
    In his death, the family loses a loving and indulgent husband and father and Fostoria loses one who has not only seen but has helped the town grow from an insignificant hamlet to a prosperous city.
    Mr. Crocker was born in fostoria August 30th, 1841, his father, Roswell, having come here in 1832 and entered a track of government land.  The village of Rome was located on a part of this land and Mr. Crocker Sr. made the first plat of the town.  he built the first sawmill and in 1837, built a gristmill.
    When Mr. Rawson was five years old , his father moved to a farm ten miles south of the city, building a sawmill and gristmill at Springville, which he conducted for a number years, returning to Fostoria in 1852 and building a gristmill on South Main Street, where the Crouse block now stands. He operated that business until his retirement in 1865.
    Mr. Crocker attended the public schools of this city, the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware and was a graduate of Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York. At the age of 16 he entered the employ of the firm of Foster, Olmsted & Company and became a member of the firm ten years later.  He remained with this company as a partner for six years when he sold out.
    He embarked in the grocery business in 1875, in the room for a number of years past occupied by the James Crawford Co., doing a large real estate business in connection therewith.  He retired from the grocery business in the early nineties since which time he had looked after his large interest here and elsewhere.
    The deceased was a strong Republican but was not an office seeker, his office holding having been limited to a term as councilman and membership on the board of sinking fund trustees.  He had taken a strong interest in the upbuilding of Fostoria since young manhood and was always to be found on committees appointed to solicit for subscriptions to locate new factories, and he always subscribed liberally before soliciting others to do so.
    He took an active interest in securing the various Crouse-Tremaine interest for Fostoria and was interested in those factories for a number of years and with these gentleman in other enterprises, being probably closer to them in the business way than any Fostorians not connected with them as employees.  He was a stockholder in both the Mechanics and Commercial Banks and was director of the first named.  He has been president of the Seneca Wire  & Manufacturing company since the organization of the company, and was one of several men to whom the success of that institution has largely been due.  He was a man of marked business acumen and this was recognized by making him a director or officer in many companies and also of the board of trade. 
    Mr. Crocker was married in 1867 to Miss Lucy Caples, daughter of the late Philip Caples and wife , who came to Jackson Township the same year Mr. Crocker's parents came to Loudon Township.  Mr. Crocker and four sons, John R., Charles P., Ross E. and Fred , survive him, all but Ross, who lives in Clarksburg, W. Va. being Fostorians.
    He was a member of the Odd Fellows and of all the local Masonic bodies, being a charter member of Fostoria Council and Fostoria Commandery.
    (Rawson Crocker was a nephew of Charles W. Foster, founder of the city, Foster married Laura Crocker, the daughter of John and Lucy Crocker, on June 7, 1827, John was the father of Roswwell Crocker and grandfather of Rawson.  Crocker Street is named for the second family of Fostoria)
   
 

From R/t July 3, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
Mr. Andrew Emerine Sr. (Local Banker and More)
 
    One of Fostoria's oldest and foremost business men, Andrew Emerine Sr., is founder and president of the First National Bank.
    The bank was organized June 17, 1882, chartered December 2nd of the same year and opened for business on Jan. 2nd 1883 in the Lockart room, now occupied by the Fostoria Candy Works.
    The original officers were Andrew Emerine, President: L.B. Harris, Vice President; J.C. F. Hull, cashier, and Alonzo Emerine, assistant cashier. So it will be seen that for a full quarter of a century, Mr. Emerine has not only found time to look after other extensive interest, but has successfully directed the important affairs of this, Fostoria's oldest, most conservative and only National Bank.
    While he now has to a large extent relieved himself of the strenuous activities which his large interests involve, his principles are being strictly adhered to by his sons, Alonzo and Andrew, vice president and assistant cashier, as well as by Andrew E. Mergenthaler, who has been with the institution practically from its inception.
    Born of German parentage about the time western Seneca County was settled, the elder Mr. Emerine saw that remarkably fertile area of this day when it was a primeval forest except for occasional cleared patches sheltering a sparse but hardy lot of pioneers.  The forest at that time were peopled with bear, wolves, deer and wild turkeys as well as all kinds of similar game and Indians.
    When a mere youth he endured hardships in the way of going to mill with a sack of corn or wheat over his shoulder, that would test the endurance of an adult man at this time.   When he had grown to a ambitious youth, he learned the saddlery trade (equipment for horses) and worked for his employer until he mastered every detail of the business, when he embarked in the trade for himself.
    He conducted his business successfully until when his financial interests became so large he had to retire in order to take advantage of the opportunities that came his way to make money.
    Let it be said here that as far as we have been able to learn, Mr. Emerine never did any gambling in stocks, nor speculated in any but a legitimate way.  Naturally he took chances on certain of his investments but he never bought or sold on margins.
    For the most part, his investments were in real estate that invariable increased in value and made him sate, (fully gratify desire) if not moderate profits.  He did not squeal when bitten by adversity nor specially rejoice when successful, except as the success was beneficial to the community
 
   

From R/t June 6, 2002
From Article by Gene Kinn
 
Fostoria Movie Houses
 
     Ural Buck was born on a farm about nine miles northeast of Fostoria, Art came to the city when he was 8 years old.  During the early days of the "flickers," he broke into the business as an operator in the Findlay movie house in 1908.   He worked in Findlay in the evenings and drove a bread wagon in Fostoria in the daytime, until 1910 when he and W.T. Huber formed a partnership to operate the Majestic Theater in Fostoria.
   
     Mr. Huber later sold his half interest to Harry Campbell, the druggist and the latter sold his interest to Judd Asire, the undertaker.   In 1915, Mr. Asire sold his half interest to Ural Buck and Charles Mergenthaler. later that year.  Arthur sold half of his interest to his brother-in-law, Melvin Hawkins.  Back in those days Fostoria had six "nickel" shows, movies that charged five cents for a 15 minute, one reel program.
 
     In 1916, when they lost their lease on the Majestic, Mr. Buck and his associates moved across the street, to what is now the present location of the State Theater, and built a 300 seat movie house, called the "Colonial".  Three years later, just after World War I, they enlarged the theater into it's present 700-seat capacity, and some time later changed the name to the State.  Art, who booked in all the shows at the Colonial, built up a reputation for exhibiting the top movies a week to two weeks ahead of the release in the larger cities.
 
     Mr. Buck booked in Sonja Henie first movie, "One in a Million", he told the agency he wanted it for New Year's Eve, even though it wasn't scheduled to be released until later in January.  The booking agency manager just laughed, but Art insisted on action.   After phone calls to New York and Hollywood, a print of the film was rushed to Fostoria, directly from Hollywood, for the first showing in the nation.  Because of the patronage the show drew in Fostoria, the producer decided to give it the "full treatment" in national advertising and promotion and the film became one of the all time big money makers.
 
     Arthur Buck died in 1963 at the age of 79.  At one time he owned a large share of both the State and Civic theaters.  He was in the movie business in Fostoria for more than 47 years.  Prior to his death Mr. Buck gave an interview to the Review Times.  He said, "When we raised the admission price of the movies from a nickel to a dime, you would have thought there was a smallpox quarantine nailed on the front door of the theater."
 
(Note)  In early 2000 the State theater was demolished and a new building will be constructed to house a Local "Good News" paper, the Fostoria Focus.  The old Civic theater building is still standing and at one time was used as a youth center,  presently used as a sharing kitchen to prepare meals for area residents..

R/t May 23, 2002
From Article by Gene Kinn
 
Cory St. Early Beginnings (1907)
 
Lawrence Kehn has purchased the new cottage just about completed by Howard Cory, in the Cory addition, paying $1200 therefor
 
There are three houses now building on Cory Street, two by Mr. Cory and one by Mr. Klotz.  Cory addition is bound to be come a popular residence district from the fact that a man is given opportunity to have a house built to suit his pocketbook with such plans of purchase as to make the properties attractive.
__________________________________
 
Unwanted Horse Found in Barn (1907)
 
When Mr. Daub went to his barn yesterday morning, he found a horse which did not belong to him.  After looking the animal over he decided that he did not want him, even as a present
 
After investigating a little, he found that Lloyd Hollopeter had given the horse to Frank Carter, but the recipient, after getting better acquainted with the animal , decided that he did not care to accept it and had returned it, thinking that Daub's barn was Mr. Hollopeter's barn.
________________________________
 
Raising Horses More Costly (1907)
 
Talking about the increase in the price of horses, in the past ten years, a well known area horse dealer stated recently that his first carload of horses shipped from the city of Tiffin cost him about $1400.  Now, the same size shipment cost him in the neighborhood of $6000
 
Yet ten years ago, many people thought that the coming of the automobile would make the horse a back number.
_____________________________
 
Fostoria to Build Engine
 
The Fostoria Auto Machine Co. closed a deal yesterday with Mr. G. Fish of Hicksville, Ohio for a twenty horsepower international traction gas engine to be shipped to Kimball, Nebraska, to be used on Mr. Fish's ranch , to pull a gang plow and threshing outfit.
_______________________________
 
 Fostoria Looking to Build Hospital (1907)
 
Drs. E. L. Overholt and William Leonard returned at noon from a tour of hospitals at Lima, Piqua, Troy, Springfield, Columbus and Findlay.
 
They will make their report at the meeting of local physicians next week and they state that there is no reason why a hospital in Fostoria would not be a success.

From R/t April 16, 2002
Article by Gene Kinn
 
Record Real Estate Sales for Fostoria (1907)
 
    In spite of the April cold rainy weather, 81 lots amounting in value to over $11,000 were sold at the Avondale opening in less than 24 hours.  This breaks all real estate records in Fostoria.
    There are now only 37 of these fine lots to offer, and these will not last long at these terms and prices.  You can secure a choice residence lot for only $1 down and only 50 cents to $1 a week with a free deed to your beneficiary in case of your death before your lot is fully paid for , even if you have made only one payment.
    There is not interest, not taxes and not extras of any kind.  We offer these beautiful lots at only $98 to $198, although lots within a short distance sell for twice these prices.
    A liberal credit of 10 percent is allowed on advance payments of $10 or more and a discount of 20 percent is allowed for all cash down.
    Avondale is located on Columbus Avenue and Town Street, only five squares from the business center. The electric line passes the property, giving it regular street car service.  There is no better or healthier location for homes in Fostoria than Avondale. 
    The owners intend Avondale to be strictly a residence property and no shacks, shanties, saloons or other objectionable features will be allowed.
    All houses in Avondale must be built 20 feet back of the sidewalk line, thus giving a park-like appearance to the property.  Lots are sold to white persons only.
    Avondale property is offered by C.N. Lodge & Co., America's greatest home makers.  Our office is located over Peter Bros.' store, corner Main and Tiffin Streets.
__________________________________________-
 
Heifer, Dislikes Her Last Trip
 
    A heifer, being brought to town to be butchered at W.L. Warner's slaughter house, from Peter Manecke's farm southwest of the city, went wild while on the way and caused considerable excitement and some danger.
    When it started out, the animal was tied to another, but broke away and would make a bolt for anyone who came in sight, while the wagon followed behind, the drivers doing their best to drive her the way they wished her to go.  Several people were chased and had the animal not slipped and gone to its knees while chasing Dr. Westfall, he would have been caught.
    J.D. Asire took five shots at it with a .38, but the bullets only served to enrage her the more.  Judd stood long enough to frighten all who saw his gunplay, but he sidestepped and allowed her to pass.
    Officer Walters has been summoned and went with the idea that he could lead the animal to the jail without any trouble.  When he saw the conditions, he sprinted to the jail, secured the official rifle and that ended the trouble.  The animal was bled at once and placed in the wagon and hauled away
    There was no apparent reason for her losing her head, but she was about as dangerous, if not more so, than an ordinary circus lion by the time she reached town.
_____________________________________-
 
Pigeons Raised in Fostoria for Market
 
    After an experience of a couple of years in the pigeon business, Frank Bunce found his quarters to limited to handle the business as extensively as he wished and he entered into a partnership with A.P. Hamill.
    The new firm purchased three acres opposite the power house, at the junction of Findlay and West Independence roads, where the Washington Township house stands. the building will be removed and a residence will be put up, after which pens will be built and those now in use on the Bunce lot will be moved to this location. The firm now has about 700 pairs of birds, but when the work contemplated has been done, they will have sufficient accommodations for 12,000.
    The raising of pigeons for market is a comparatively new business for this section of the country, but it seems to be growing one wherever it has been started,  Mr. Bunce imported most of his birds from Europe.