NOTICE: This site will go offline July 1st, 2024.
Please contact if you are interested in maintaining this site after July 2024.


User Rating:  / 0
Community Calendar
Social Groups
Web Links


April 19, 1984


PIX #1 & #2 - A few of Upper Sandusky's factories at the turn of the century included: The Comins Manufacturing Co. at left and Gordon Casket Co., above.

PIX #3 - Above is the Ohio Thresher & Engine Company and at right is the in- terior of Upper Sandusky Gas Works, erected by The Western Light & Fuel Co.

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is the second in a series of articles about the C.H.V.& T. railroad (now Chessie System)...the towns along the line from Toledo to the Ohio River...some of the industries and the scenery, as it was back be- fore the turn of the century).

Last week's article ended when a typical passenger trip on that railroad had reached Upper Sandusky on its way southward.

Even then, Upper Sandusky was an old town. It was surveyed and platted in 1830 by William C. Brown. In 1848 it was incorporated. But even before that it was the site of an old Indian village...long before white settlers came to establish the village.

The village, often referred to as the Indian Village, received its name from the Wyandot Indian name "Sa--un-dus-tee", meaning "water within pools."


In 1816, John Stewart, a black man, came to the area as a missionary to the Indians, and established the First Methodist Mission in America in 1819. Residents built The Stone Mission church (still existing) which was used by the Wyandot Indians until 1843.

Upper Sandusky, the county seat of Wyandot County, is steeped in Indian lore, which is preserved along with the town's history, in a book published in 1976 by Ray D. Gottfried, and other public-spirited citizens of the town. It is an elegant presentation of information...both by word and photos. A copy is available for reference at Kaubisch Memorial Public Library.

Before the imaginary train trip continues, readers will want to know about a few of the manufacturing plants in Upper Sandusky at the time The Remem- brancer was published by the C.H.V.&T. line.


The inception of the business dated back to 1865, at which time it was known as Stevenson Engine Works. It gained national reputation by the time Comins Mfg. Co. acquired the factory in 1892, and continued to make the Stevenson as well as the Comins engine.

Its complete line, in addition to the steam engines, included boilers, fix- tures, steam pumps, saw mills, gas apparatus, water-works and engineers sup- plies, water-works machinery, pumps, stand pipes and hydrants. The Wyandot Chief direct Action Circular Saw-Mill was also one of their important pro- ducts.

The officers were: A.B. Comins, president; E.H. Gordon, vice president; War- ner Clark, secretary; and G.W. Beery, treasurer.


The offices, works and yards of John Shealy was located at the corner of Seventh and Crawford streets, covering a half acre. The mill was a two-story structure in which doors, sash, frames, blinds, lumber, lath, shingles, flooring and siding was produced. It carried all kinds of lumber, including oak, ash, and hickory.


The company was established in 1887 to manufacture traction and portable farm engines, vibrating threshers, straw stackers and the "Boss" feed mill. Fifty mechanics were employed in the factory. Its business extended throughout the United States. J.J. Stoll was president; J.R. Sayton, vice president, E.A. Gordon, treasurer, and S.H. White, secretary and manager.


Established in 1892, the company manufactured cloth caskets, robes, linings and undertaker's supplies. Its output was approximately 75 caskets per week, with 30 skilled workmen. Officers were: E.A. Gordon, president; D.D. Moody, vice president; W.S. Bush, manager; H.R. Henderson, secretary, and G.W. Beery, treasurer..


Incorporated in 1892, the company purchased from the Commercial Gas, Light & Fuel Co. of New York all rights on patents and improvements to the Van Syckle-Stillwell Gas System, in which crude Lima, or other oils are used en- tirely, both in heating generators and in making coal being needed. It was possible to make quality bas economically and quickly, while the candlepower could be regulated at will. The gas was said to be almost free of sulfur or other deleterious qualities. It built systems at Wapakoneta, Cadiz and Upper Sandusky; Warsaw, Ind.; Newton, N.J.; Stroudsburg, Pa.; Eau Claire, Wisc.; and Newburn, N.C. Officers of the company were J.H. Powell, president; S.W. Van Sickle, vice president; R.N. McConnell, vice president; Foster Beery, secretary; and E.A. Gordon, treasurer.


Upper Sandusky had two hotels and a bank back at the time The Remembrancer was published.

Hitchcock's Hotel Thurman was a three-story hotel with 35 sleeping rooms, with all conveniences, a bar room and sample room.

The other hotel was Pierson House, at the corner of Sandusky Street. It was three stories high with 50 sleeping rooms. It was originally built in 1840 and then remodeled in 1890. It too had "all conveniences."

Upper Sandusky's bank back then was Wyandot County Bank, E.A. Gordon, presi- dent. It was capitalized at $300,000.

(Continued next week).

Top of page



Hosted by Noguska Computer Center Serving Fostoria's computer needs since 1973!